Celebrate your holiday with something sweet and satisfying to your tummy. Cupcakes are a great way to monitor your portion sizes. They are also fun to make with family and friends. Be creative as you want this Christmas by decorating these delightful little treats for Santa. This red velvet and vanilla cupcake recipe is quick and easy to follow.
- 1 box of your favorite vanilla cake mix
- 1 box of your favorite red velvet cake mix
- 2 cans of your favorite pre made vanilla frosting
- Green and red sprinkles or bite sized candies (optional)
- Green food coloring
- Vegetable oil
- A cupcake baking pan
- Spatula or butter knife
- Red velvet and vanilla cupcakes recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 350
2.Mix the the two box cake recipes separately, according to the instructions on the package.
3. After completing the box instructions, mix in 2-3 drops of the green food coloring in your vanilla cake mix.
4. Lightly grease your cupcake pan with vegetable oil.
5. Spoon the mixtures into the pan, separately (half of the cupcakes should be all vanilla and the other half should be all red velvet). Each cupcake compartment should be 3/4 of the way filled with cake mix.
6. Bake the cupcakes as long as the package suggests.
7. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool for 15 minutes.
8. After the cupcakes have fully cooled, carefully remove them from the pan.
9. Cut the cupcakes horizontally into thirds.
10. Layer the cupcakes by alternating colors. You can hold them together by slathering on a thin layer of icing between each layer. For example (bottom layer: red cake. Icing. Middle layer: green cake. Icing. Top layer: red cake) there should only be three layers to this cupcake.
11. After layering, spread a generous amount of icing on top of the cupcake. Move your spatula or butter knife in a slow wave motion to create a design.
12. Sprinkle the candies or sprinkles onto the frosting.